Pay Your Water Bill

Econ Dev Link

visit us on facebook
facebook link

Tips for Disposing of Household Hazardous Waste


Suggested ways to dispose of some common household hazardous waste


Animals love the taste, will drink it, and poison themselves because they can’t stop loving it. There are some unfriendly metals in the stuff. Take antifreeze to the Jiffy Lube in Bosque Farms. They will dispose it for free if it’s in its original container or tightly sealed milk jug.

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL's)

A CFL bulb is a type of light bulb that screws into a standard light socket, such as a lamp or ceiling light fixture and looks somewhat like an ice cream cone. CFLs use much less energy, last up to 10 times longer than standard light bulbs and are therefore very green! However, a CFL bulb has a very small amount of mercury contained in it. Mercury is a hazardous waste and broken CFL's should be cleaned carefully (but you don't need a hazardous waste team to come to your house!) Unbroken CFL's can be taken to Home Depot for free disposal

For more information on how to recycle all flourescent bulbs and procedures for handling broken bulbs, go to

Motor Oil

Poured down drains or dumped on the ground, motor oil will work its way into our aquifer and eventually into your belly. It can contain hazardous materials such as lead, benzene, zinc, and magnesium. Like antifreeze, motor oil can go to Jiffy Lube. Make sure the oil is not contaminated with any solvents or other materials.

Remember You DUMP It You DRINK It.


It is not uncommon for diseased animals to lurk in tires. When lit, tires burn intensely for long periods of time and generate smoke with harmful environmental pollutants. Any time you get new tires at a tire business, ask that business to dispose of your old ones. It only costs a few dollars, and they will be recycled! This will help extend the life of our landfills. You could also take them to Envirosolve, LLC, for recycling.


You can let latex paints dry out and toss them in the garbage; it’s plastic and won’t harm you. However, prior to drying, the paints can be mixed with dirt, cat litter, sand, or cement. Oil paints, however, can be harmful to you and the environment. They give off toxic fumes that you don’t want to breathe. If you purchased paint before 1980, chances are its lead-based and hazardous. Take these paints to Envirosolve for proper disposal. They also accept cans of spray paint. When disposing of paint read the label and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper disposal.

NOTE: Latex paint manufactured before August 1990 may also contain mercury. Some older paints may contain high levels of lead, as well. Although the Consumer Products Safety Commission banned the use of lead in consumer paints in 1978, older homes, especially those built prior to 1978, may have lead-based paint on interior surfaces. According to EPA, lead-based paint dust and chips are dangerous if swallowed or inhaled, especially to small children and pregnant women. For more information a out lead-based paints or a list of businesses that can test homes to determine if a home has surfaces painted with lead-based paint, contact the National Lead Information Clearinghouse at (800) 424-LEAD.

Rechargeable Batteries, Cell Phones, and Cordless Electronics

Rechargeable batteries and batteries in cell phones, and cordless electronics contain heavy metals that are damaging to the environment and a threat to human health. They should NOT be thrown in the trash, but returned to a store or facility equipped to properly process them. The closest facilities to Bosque Farms are in Los Lunas, and include Home Depot, Valley Electronics, and the NM Environment Department. Go to the Call2Recycle website at for other locations and programs for recycling these products.

Other Hazardous Materials

There are many other materials that can adversely affect the quality of the water we drink and the air we breathe. Consequently, everyone is encouraged to take advantage of the extensive recycling and disposal capabilities offered by Envirosolve, LLC.

For more information...

National Poison Control Centers 1-800-222-1222